Saturday, March 11, 2017

Essay topics: Essay topics: IELTS General Writing - Writing Task I -CEFR Band B2-IELTS Band 6.0

Essay topics: Essay topics: IELTS General Writing - Writing Task I

You have a new job and can no longer attend your regular English class.

Write a letter to the English school. In your letter:
- describe the situation
- explain the problem
- say what you would like to happen now that you cannot attend the lesson.

Write at least 150 words.
***********************

Dear Director,
St. Trinity School of English Language
Dublin

My name is John Smith and I am a student of English language in department of foreign languages in your school. I have been learning English with you for the past several months. However, at this point, I can no longer continue the course because of my new employment.

I would like to inform you further that I have been accepted as a trainee software analyst by Intel Company and will be joining it by the end of next week. I need to work in my employer’s head office located in London. This is a reason why, I will soon move from Dublin to London.

Pursuant to these developments, I request you to grant me permission to attend the remaining classes in your school based in London. I hope you will agree to such arrangements.

I sincerely thank you for all the assistance extended by you and your school in the past. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours Sincerely,

John Smith
*************************

Tips for the Writing test - Task 1 in General Writing
  • ·         In Part 1 of the General Training Writing test you are presented with a situation and you have to write a letter asking for information or explaining the situation.
  •  ·         Make sure you answer the question completely.
  • ·         In the question there will be keywords like ‘explain’, ‘suggest’, ‘say’ ‘describe’. Make sure you do everything the question asks you to do.
  • ·         Look at the keywords in this question.
  • ·         In Task 1 you will be asked to write a letter. Depending on who you are writing to, you need to decide whether to write in a more formal or a more informal style.
  • ·         Most everyday written communication in English uses a semi-formal style, where the tone is quite friendly, but some more formal expressions are used. However, we use a more formal style when we’re writing for professional reasons or to people we don’t know. We use an informal style with people we know well, for example, family members, relatives, friends or colleagues.
  • ·         There are a number of differences between formal and informal English. For example, sentences are generally longer and more complex in formal writing. Language is often more impersonal, sometimes using passive voice. Vocabulary is often different too, with more words of Latin or French origin and fewer phrasal verbs. We don’t use contractions in formal writing, whereas in informal writing, we use them all the time.
  • Read these tips to help you answer question 1.
  • © British Council



No comments:

Post a Comment