Saturday, February 11, 2017

Writing and Reading in IELTS-Is 60 minutes enough?

There was a question at FUTURELEARN Forum, and the question was:

Some people struggle to finish the reading and writing tests in the time limit. How does the time limit affect the way that you read and write? What can you do to improve this?

First of all, FutureLearn is a Forum which conducts/organises many free courses in English Language. I was attending a course on IELTS. For example, the course on IELTS which I am attending at the moment is: INSIDE IELTS CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT. You can get the more ideas about IELTS and this free course by visiting this link: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/cambridge-english-ielts/2/study-group


Now, let us talk about IELTS. IELTS is one of the toughest exams if you have not studied in English medium, or if you have not studied enough English. I have seen that many people in Kazakhstan dream of "passing" IELTS though there is no such concepts as pass or fail in IELTS. What they mean is that they want to receive a good score in IELTS so that they can prove their English language skills, or apply to foreign Universities.

I am always ready to help you in case you need any help from me to crack IELTS examinations. I will be able to help you in reading, writing, listening and speaking part of IELTS. You can contact me through this blog to realise your dreams of getting good IELTS score.

******

Please look below my advice on how you can manage your time in IELTS examination.

Some people struggle to finish the reading and writing tests in the time limit. How does the time limit affect the way that you read and write? What can you do to improve this?



First of all, if you want to get a good score in IELTS reading, you should have a good reading skills. That means you have to be able to read any text on any topics quickly, you have to have the ability to understand any sentence with ease. Having a good knowledge of vocabulary is definitely an asset.

In reading, different tricks, tactics and strategies work for different people. IELTS teachers have their own views on how to master the reading part of the IELTS. Some will say that you have to read the question first, some will say that you have to read the topic sentence or find the keyword. For me, these tricks do not work. I need to read the text completely and try to understand everything quickly. If I have a difficulty over a word or phrase (s), I will highlight that part and come back to it again later. As I consider myself good reader with decent knowledge of vocabulary, I am not afraid of reading text.

I advise students to read modern literature from day to day print. Reading The Economist, The Guardian and The New York Times help you a lot. The start will not be easy but you need to make an attempt everyday, learn new words, new complex sentence structures and you will find the rhythm.
In writing, 60 minutes is a lot of time. I had sufficient time to do both the Academic writing tasks. I had the difficulty to keep the essays within the word limit.

I always tend to write a lot and I think I got penalised there. Of course, my score was low not because IELTS examiners penalise you because of long essay but long essays tend to have more mistakes, obscure ideas, conflicting or repetitive views. If you have practiced writing few times at home before exam, you should not be scared of time issue. It is better to focus on meaningful ideas and their presentation. I hope my comments help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment